Friday, June 28, 2013

Curvy Girl Fashion - Maxi Dress

Sorry I've been MIA lately...it has been a busy couple of weeks cluing up the school year at work and lots of socials! I was absolutely spoiled with cards, flowers, hugs, chocolate, and beautiful thoughtful gifts from the very sweet students & staff at my school as a token of their appreciation for all I do. I'm a very lucky girl and I love them all dearly!

Before I get into today's outfit...I want to mention that this is blog post #100 and I've hit over 20,000 views!! As always, I am so thankful for all your love and support....thank you so much!

I know I'm a little late getting into this trend but I was positive my short curvy figure would never look good in a maxi dress. I am 5'4 and I haven't come across a place that sells maxi dresses for petite people (if you know if one please let me know) so I just didn't bother with them. Yesterday, I was at the mall with my husband and they were everywhere. I decided to give the maxi dresses a try and confirm they are just not for me. Boy was I wrong - I tried on so many and fell in love with so many I had a hard time trying to decide on one. I couldn't believe how tall I looked! I must admit, a lot of them were definitely too long for me but I found one particular dress that had an elastic waist and could easily be hiked up to the right length with no tailoring required. But just my luck, it wasn't there in my size. So I went to the other mall in my city that has that same store and there it was - same dress and in my size. Meant to be!! I tried it on and instantly fell in love!!

So this is my chevron pink and grey maxi dress that I picked up at Bootlegger (hi to the girl who sold me this dress...I didn't catch your name but you were an absolute sweetheart!! We connected over nail polish and pandora charms. I casually mentioned my blog and she said she was going to come have a look!).  Anywho, the elastic waste on this dress makes it easy to just hike up and fold over to make it the perfect length for my short little legs! A good trick to do this on dresses with no elastic waist is to belt the dress and fold it over the belt. This dress has a deep scoop neck and back, and thick shoulder straps (great for covering your bra straps). Its made out of a very comfortable, soft, stretchy cotton material that is light and breezy for day or night.



Today I just paired it with a pair of pewter sandals from Payless (on my toes is Essie "Tart Deco") and an owl necklace that my co-worker Michelle gave me (Hi Michelle...thank you!). I also have on my Pandora bracelet which I'm going to do an update on soon, and my Guess watch. You may also notice that I recently dyed my hair red with amazing hair stylist, Maria! I never stray from my usual brown but I wanted to try something different and I love it!




I love maxi dresses because they are great for summer but you can also wear them throughout fall and winter with leggings/tights, a knit cardigan, and boots. I hope to expand my maxi dress collection a lot over the next couple of months and plan to wear them all year round (at least while they are still in style). Thanks for reading and see you guys again very soon! <3

Much Love,
April
xo

1 comment: