Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review: Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation

Looking for a great drugstore foundation? Look no further...


Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation!!
I swear by Revlon Colourstay...I have bought it time and time again for many years. I've tried other drugstore foundations but always went back to my Colourstay. I have read rave reviews on Makeup Alley about Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation and I needed to stock up on foundation for my upcoming summer weddings (since I can no longer get the Sally Hansen Airbrush foundation here where I live) so I decided to get one for myself first to see how I liked it. It seemed like the perfect foundation for weddings - long lasting, full coverage, lightweight and affordable for my kit. I would have used Colourstay for clients but the range of colours and the dry/oily skin formula for each shade would have costed me a fortune!

This bottle is 1 fluid ounce (which is the normal amount of foundation bottles) and ranges from $6.99 to $10.99 depending on the sale at the time. The bottle is an upside down squeeze tube which isn't the greatest format and its hard to control how much comes out but that's not a huge deal for me. The formula is a great consistency - not too watery and not too thick. It has a faint perfume scent at first but doesn't seem to linger for too long. 

The foundation itself spreads very nicely over the face with fingers, a beauty blender, sponge, and with a flat top brush (I've tried all 4 and my personal preference is a flat top brush as gives me an airbrushed look). A little of this product goes a long way and 1 coat covers all my redness, uneven skintone, break outs, under eye circles, and imperfections without concealer. Sometimes I'll give my chin a thin 2nd coat if I'm having a big breakout and it does not get cakey. The finish of this is amazing - for the first time I feel like I don't need a powder as it dries into a beautiful matte finish. But since I have oily skin I applied my Marcell Loose Powder in my t-zone and it looked great! 

Now for the staying power - WOW!! This did not move from my face all morning, afternoon or evening and when I wiped my makeup off before I went to bed the cleansing wipe was full of foundation! The only other foundation I found this with was Revlon Colourstay so I was impressed! Another miracle was I did not get oily for the entire day - no powder touch up and no blotting and my face was still matte before I went to bed. Unfortunately, Revlon Colourstay kept me unoily for quite some time but I had to touch up my nose and forehead in evening. The Rimmel foundation also was transfer resistant - it did not transfer on my scarf, coat or phone (the most common areas for me). Finally, this foundation did not turn orange, or dry out my skin either!

So just as I suspected, this was a perfect bride foundation! I saw a sale and stocked up on a bunch of different shades. One downfall is that there isn't a huge variety of shades but I plan to mix the shades to make a perfect colour for each individual client if necessary. There's also no SPF in this foundation which could cause problems for some but this was key for me when looking for a wedding foundation. SPF doesn't photograph well and tends to wash out so it was important for me to find something that was camera friendly as well as long lasting.

No review is complete without a picture, right? This is the beauty world and you have to see it for yourself. So I did a before and after to complete my review. As you can see in the top picture, I have some discolouration, chin breakouts, and dark under eye area. In the bottom picture, all that has completely disappeared and my face is completely even and 1 colour (I did not use any concealer)!!! I contoured my face in the after picture and put on blush as well because I don't like going without both but you get the idea :). Here's the picture:


PLEASE NOTE THESE PHOTOS ARE COMPLETELY UNEDITED!

Now before you run out and buy this, or even look for it I have some disappointing news. The Shoppers Drug Mart cosmetician told me they are discontinuing this product. I have no idea why, if its true, when or if Rimmel are replacing it with a similar foundation but it may be hard to find especially in this city. I've stocked up for myself and for clients so I'm good for a while. If you find it, match your shade and stock up! If Rimmel does come out with a similar product I will gladly let you know and do a blog post about it! In the meantime if I could recommend another affordable drugstore foundation it would be Revlon Colourstay (which I can do a review on in a later blog post).

Thanks for reading!

Much Love,
April
xo

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I feel the same way about photography :). That's why we make an excellent team!!

      Delete
  2. wow it looks on good quality, i must to try it! (:

    ReplyDelete