Saturday, February 9, 2013

How to: fill in eyebrows using the Urban Decay Brow Box (With Pictures!)

I was never blessed with gorgeous eyebrows and I was an excessive eyebrow plucker when I was younger. I kept plucking the insides next to my nose and eventually it passed the point where its suppose to start (which is vertically parallel to the outside your nostril. Get a makeup brush and line it up next to your nose!) and my eyebrow kept getting shorter in length. I shamefully sported those eyebrows for quite some time before growing them back in toward my nose. I decided it was time to put down the tweezers because as a person who applies makeup on other people, I thought it was very important to "look the part" with nice eyebrows. In addition, having defined eyebrows frames your face and completes your any makeup look from natural to dramatic.

Quitting sounds easy right? Not for some people and definitely not for me. I like my eyebrows to be neat so not being able to pluck those little hairs growing back pretty much killed me. When they finally filled in, the hairs grew the opposite way (pointing toward my nose) and were completely unruly during the whole process! Once they grew out, I had to "train" them to go outward with the rest of my brows and they are finally normal again (took about 2 months or so). They are, by no means, perfect but they are much better than they were! They are still thin but unfortunately years of plucking have made them permanently on the thin side so there isn't much I can do for that except purchase a product to fill them in every day. Now it was time to watch YouTube videos by my favorite beauty gurus to see their eyebrow routine. I took a little bit from every video (mostly from MissChievous and NikkieTutorials) and created my own routine  based on my features.

I was using using MAC's "Espresso" eyeshadow and an angled brush to fill in my eyebrows for years and that was working fine but I wanted an actual brow product. After much research and testing, I finally decided on the Urban Decay Brow Box in Brown Sugar! Its a little steep at $32 but let me tell you its well worth the money!

I want to share with you the steps I take on filling in my eyebrows using this product. Here's what it looks like:



What you'll need:
  • Regular eyebrow pencil
  • Small flat angled brush
  • Synthetic flat brush
  • Spoolie
  • Urban Decay Brow Box 
  • Clear Mascara (used as a brow gel)
  • Q-Tip
  • Concealer (optional)
I first brush out my eyebrows with a spoolie from the inside out.




















Then I take a synthetic flat brush, dip it into the wax section of the Brow Box and place it on my eyebrows to flatten down the hair. You can use this to set your brows but I like using it before the powder so colour from the powder doesn't transfer onto the clear wax. Keep reading to see what I use to set my brows.




































Next I take a very sharpe GOSH Eyebrow Pencil (I love GOSH pencils...they are very comparable to high end IMO) and start drawing a line from the inside at the top of the eyebrow moving outward. This is the step where I create my eyebrow arch. I repeat the line on the bottom of my eyebrow as well making sure I stay on the outside edge. For those with thinner eyebrows it may be difficult but the trick is to make sure your pencil is sharp -  anything out of place can be fixed with a Q-Tip later!

















I then use a small flat angled brush (this is from Crown Brush. I don't use the one in the Brow Box...I find it way too small and hard to work with) and the lighter shade in the Brow Box and lightly fill in my eyebrows using quick light strokes on the inside of the brow. When I get to the arch, I switch the angle of my hand and draw a straight line outward as a "tail". 



I take that same brush and the darker shade in the Brow Box and with a light hand go over where I laid down the eyebrow pencil on the outsides of my eyebrow. This will define your eyebrows a little more and set the pencil for a long lasting stay - you can certainly skip this step if you don't feel its necessary for you. REMEMBER: Your eyebrows are suppose to be sisters, not twins. Don't waste time trying to get them symmetrical but get them as close as you can!





















Don't panic...you're not done yet! Your eyebrows will look a bit crazy at this point but we are going to fix it! Take your spoolie (this is also from Crown Brush) and lightly brush all the product through your eyebrows. This will blend everything together and soften it. This step is VERY important! 





















Now, this is my trick. Well, I'm sure this is used by millions of other people but I discovered it on my own. Get a new Q-Tip and just gently go over the area below and above my eyebrow. This cleans up any messy lines and gives it a crisp look.





















Finally, take a clear brow gel (I use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Clear) and set everything. You can use the spoolie to brush through your brows again if it feels like a little too much was applied.





















OPTIONAL TRICK: Get a concealer (I like MAC Studio Finish Concealer) and a sharp concealer brush, and go over where you cleaned up with the Q-Tip. Draw a line right along the top of your eyebrow and push the concealer outward to blend. You can repeat this on the bottom of your eyebrow as well but I usually let my brow highlight eyeshadow do the work for the bottom.

And there you have it! Filled in eyebrows :)

Here's a Before & After Pic:


DISCLAIMER: There are many different ways & products to fill in your eyebrows and this is my routine. Please use these steps as a guide or modify them to fit your own personal needs. The beauty community is a big world and there are many different ways to apply eyeshadow, lipstick, foundation, etc so if you have a different way of doing it...fill yer boots (as we say in Newfoundland)!

Stay tuned for a detailed review of the Urban Decay Brow Box (probably posted tomorrow).

Much Love,
April
xo

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tutorial
    really helpful for somebody like me who loves
    wearing makeup and doing it myself...
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post!! I love Urban Decay and was waiting to run out of the benefit brow kit before I run out and buy it. But seeing that someone else with a light complexion doesn't have the crazy brow look, I think the colors would work for me, too!

    ReplyDelete