Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My First Tattoo

I've always wanted a tattoo but could never decide on what exactly I wanted. I thought of silverchair (my all time favourite band since I was 14) related tattoos but couldn't find lyrics I loved/meant something/would love to have on me for the rest of my life. It was also hard to find ones that weren't already done 100000 times. Back in February I saw a tattoo online that I instantly fell in love with. I'm not a die hard Tom Petty fan but I am definitely a really big fan of him! 

Reasoning for my ink
To make a long story short, I was a very passive quiet person. Throughout my life people would take advantage of that and walk all over me. I wouldn't stand up for myself because I was too scared so I'd just let it go. As I got older, it got worse. I even began struggling to cope with professional situations. I knew it had to stop because it was making me extremely unhappy. It took me a few years and Tom Petty's song "I won't back down" on repeat to get me through some hard times but I am finally in a comfortable place and I feel much better. And you know what? People stopped walking all over me! To honour my life change, an "I Won't Back Down" tattoo couldn't be more perfect. 2012 is also my "golden year"...I turn 30 on the 30th of April so its also kind of a 30th birthday gift to myself. Finally, 2012 is the year I will see Tom Petty live! If you're not familiar with the song here it is:


And here is my tattoo:


Alicia at Trouble Bound Studio did the ink for me - she's amazing!! You can see some of her artwork here: Alicia E Tattoo. My husband and I went through a font package he has and narrowed down to this font. I didn't want script or something that people couldn't read easily. I got it done on my left foot and I absolutely love the placement - you can easily see it in all my flats and heels. If you're thinking about getting a foot tattoo - it hurts! Mine only took about 15 minutes and it was very uncomfortable on such a bony soft skinned part of the body but it was well worth it. A lifetime reminder to never back down and be that passive person I used to be.


"And I'll keep this world from dragging me down; gonna stand my ground; and I won't back down" - Tom Petty

No comments:

Post a Comment